10.21.2005

Not Sure What to Title This One

Had a rough day at school today, but I'm not sure how to really categorize it. I mean ... no one got seriously hurt. Nothing was broken. And, at least a modicum of learning occured. But, I had a raging headache at the end of the day, and I felt crummy for not getting the relationship between pennies and nickels through to these kids.

They just don't get it.

And they insist on counting out tally marks one-by-one.

I'm sure it didn't help that we did arts and crafts for the first hour and a half of the day. And my aide wasn't there to help keep things in line. And, Tyrell decided to be a crazy lunatic for awhile.

I mean, what sort of kid comes into class flapping his arms like wings?
"Go back out and try coming into the class the right way, Tyrell."

Reenters skipping.
"Go back out and try it again, Tyrell."

Reenters walking backward.
"Go back out and try it again, Tyrell."

Reenters stomping, smile gone from his face.
(I decide to let it slide a bit, since he seems to be actually heading for his desk and starting his day with some semblance of normalcy.)

Then at Morning Meeting, he's all elbows and knees and sly comments.
"Go back to your seat and think about how you should behave at Morning Meeting."
"I can't."
"What? Why not?"
"Because I tied my shoes together."

You've got to be kidding me. I point. He goes. Big show of "tripping" and "stumbling."

I move his name to red on the behavior chart.
"Yay! I'm on red! Finally! Look, everyone...red! Whooo!"

I point out the door to the Bench Outside the Principal's Office. My room is blissfully quite and cooperative for a full hour. :)

But after lunch they were crazy. And loud.

I'm sure Crazy Hat Day had something to do with it. It's awfully hard to take anyone seriously when she has a cake on her head. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6568758415&category=35842)

Or maybe they were really able to focus on lessons and ignore the hat. Maybe.

No comments: