6.25.2008

I Had to Steal This Picture

Last night we let the kids go to bed a little late.

Firefly season started here about a week ago, but now they're really going.* So the kids spent part of the afternoon contriving various firefly catch-and-release holding containers.

They finally settled on a toilet paper tube with paper held over each end by hair stretchies. "The red stretchy is loose, so we can take it on and off fast for getting the fireflies inside," Emily explained.

So we went out and braved the South Jersey mosquitoes (which are plentiful and organized into various squadrons and fighter wings). I had my camera** and tried to capture the innocence of youth, the joy of capturing for a moment the fleeting glow of bioluminescence.

What I wound up with were dozens and dozens*** of pictures of blurry kids and blurry trees and blurry dark dots.

Joe realized what I was trying to do and he and the kids tried to stage a scene for me. They grabbed all the fireflies they could from all over the yard and kept dumping them in the same spot, so they'd be denser in that part of the yard. It worked and looked really lovely, but I still couldn't get shutter and aperture and fireflies to all cooperate at the same time.

So, I did what any modern photography-challenged blogger would do. I Googled until I found the firefly picture I really tried to take.

--End--

*Really going for our yard means maybe a dozen of them blinking around.
** Nothing fancy...a Canon PowerShot.
***I had the camera on take-a-bunch-of-pictures-superfast-by-
just-keeping-the-picture-taking-button-pressed-down mode.

No comments: