8.20.2011

A Hint of Fall in the Air

There is nothing on the calendar today. Nothing! How does that work?

I'm really in the mood for a county fair or something, but around here they're not like the Crawford County Fair near where I grew up. (granted, that's the largest agricultural fair in Pennsylvania (according to their website), so I grew up pretty spoiled that way)

And now that I look more closely at their website, there's a reason I'm feeling in the Fair mood. Apprently the Crawford County Fair opens today. It must be the hours of daylight or something or the (albeit fluky) cool crispness in the air last night ... like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano, I feel a compulsion to wander through well-trodden, straw-strewn pathways, cooling myself with a local politician's paper give-away fan, munching on funnel cake; perusing countless sheep, cows, horses, ducks, geese, pigeons, pigs, canned fruit, oversized pumpkins and gourds; tuning out the midway noise and the grinding drone of the truck pull underway in the central arena while commenting on the ridiculously huge John  Deere on display.

August 2002, Emily's first Crawford County Fair
I really miss the Fair.

--End--

No comments: