11.20.2007

Christmas Meme

Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hmmm, overall going with egg nog for the holidays, hot chocolate for the rest of the winter.

Does Santa wrap presents or just put them out under the tree? Wraps them in paper and tags different from the rest of the presents.

Colored lights or white on the house? White on the house, colored on bushes and stuff.

Who do you wish you could see at Christmas? My Grandpas, Joe's Grandmom whom I've never met.

What's your favorite non-dessert holiday dish? Mmmmm .... stuffing or maybe ham.

When do you put up your Christmas decorations? The Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Favorite holiday memory as a child? I remember one year I got everything I asked for (though it was weird stuff), like an atlas and a pea coat. I was in high school, so I don't know if it counts for "as a child." Otherwise, the time that the radio radar was tracking Santa as we drove home from Grandma and Granpa Christoph's house. We were meandering around looking at lights some and Chris (and I) were getting nervous that we wouldn't be home in time and Santa would skip us.

When and how did you learn about Santa? I remember noticing that Santa's handwriting was the same as my mom's. That's why I'm SOOO careful with all that stuff -- different paper, tags, pen, etc.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We used to do all of the Christoph side on Christmas Eve, and the Schierer side on Christmas. But, Joe is very anti-Christmas Eve gifts, so we haven't really done that since we've been married. Oh, I take that back. Since we've stopped spending Christmas morning with Joe's side of the family, the kids usually open one gift at Mom Dugan's Christmas Eve open house for her to see.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? A big gold bow and ribbons, white lights (Joe always tries to sneak on some colored ones.), tons and tons and tons of homemade and store-bought ornaments -- many with so many stories and memories. No tinsel or garland. Quilted tree skirt my mom made.

Snow ... love it or hate it? LOVE it. Love it, love it, miss it, love it.

Can you ice skate? Well enough to stay on my feet and get a little bit of speed, and not fall down when the kid holding my hand wobbles. Not backward, unless Chris is helping me out.

What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? Providing good memories for the kids, maintaining traditions, getting it all right and done in the early part of the season in order to have some time relaxing and enjoying later on.

What is your favorite holiday dessert? Pecan pie, chocolate meltaways bar cookies, Zimsterne!

What is your favorite holiday tradition? Driving around to see lights, cuddling with Joe with beefstick/cheese/crackers with only the tree lights on, matching pajamas on Christmas morning.

What tops your tree? An angel ... brunette with her eyes open. This was a big deal for me to find for our first tree back in 1993.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Overall, giving. But I love getting just one perfect unexpected gift that makes me cry a little.

What is your favorite Christmas song? A tie between Sleigh Ride and the Boston Pops (or other pops) Leroy Anderson classic Christmas Festival.

One thing that upsets you about Christmas time? Not having time to notice it as it flies by, and the feeling that less isn't more ... more is more.

--End--

No comments: